Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thoughts on the Democratic Convention

First of all, how awesome was John Kerry last night. I know that I may be about the first person ever to use the words "awesome" and "John Kerry" in the same sentence and really mean it, but his speech last night was just fantastic. He especially must have loved giving that speech and getting to go after John McCain for switching positions on so many issues. The sweet irony of it all. I only caught the end of Bill Clinton's speech, but from where I was sitting, John Kerry was the highlight of the night. Too bad it wasn't his convention this time around.

I thought Biden did a good solid job, but didn't turn in anything especially memorable or wonderful. I woke up this morning with some of the phrases from John Kerry's speech still in my head. I don't really remember anything that Biden said. Now, as I've written before, Biden doesn't have to be a charismatic master orator. The ticket already has that slot covered. So maybe it's not a bad thing that Biden didn't do much in the way of getting people all fired up.

Nancy Pelosi kind of scares me. I'm sure she's much better in one on one interactions, but watching her up at the podium last night was just awkward.

Now that Obama is officially the nominee, we'll see what happens to the PUMAs. I really hope that they do the right thing on this one.

Looking forward to Obama's speech tonight. I'll have more thoughts tomorrow.

No comments: