Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Stay Away from Harrold

The New York Times was reporting yesterday that today might be the day that Obama announces his pick for vice president. Of course, other papers were saying Friday and everyone is looking for something to talk about whether it's true or not. It's just the way the 24 hour news cycle goes during the dead month of August. So we'll see what happens. I'm not exactly holding my breath on this one.

Also, is anyone else ready for August to be over? It's like a news wasteland. Bring on the action.

In the meantime, I have to point your attention to the small town of Harrold, Texas, which, starting this month, will allow their teachers to bring concealed firearms to school. That's right. Guns and schools, together at last. After all, nothing limits violence quite like having more guns around.

Maybe I'm getting used to the liberal, eastern, latte-sipping lifestyle but that's just nuts. Admittedly, there were more than a few points during my career as a middle school teacher that I can't say I really would have minded having a concealed firearm handy, but that's probably an argument against letting me have one.

I mean, here in New York there are people upset because the NYPD runs the school safety officers and they worry about that.

According to school superintendent David Thweatt, "When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started."

Wait. When were schools not gun-free? I love these lone ranger types who stand up to the federal government for freedom and safety by doing things like putting guns in classrooms with children.

Anyway, the takeaway from all this is that August is boring and don't send your kids to school in Harrold, Texas.

No comments: