Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Catching Up

I've been without internet for the past couple of days and (as always seems to be the case) they were some big ones. So here's a quick rundown on my thoughts over the last few days.

1. Biden. Though I wish the pick had been made sooner (the waiting and teasing with the whole thing was just getting silly) I think he's a good pick. Not a particularly bold or inspired choice, but a solid one. He certainly brings the foreign policy experience that Obama lacks. Plus, the ticket doesn't really need any more excitement. Obama has that. So I'm giving this one a thumbs up.

2. Republicans trying to stir up Hillary supporters. Just after Obama announced his VP pick as Biden, McCain ran an ad from a Hillary supporter who now says that she's going to be voting for McCain. Last night, Rudy Giuliani outright said that Obama should have picked Clinton. Talk about a transparent strategy. It is slightly more subtle than the original ad, which reportedly featured a close up of John McCain saying, "Democrats. Fight with each other so I can become president."

3. Michelle Obama's speech. Great. Yes, it was kind of boring and straight ahead with nothing fancy. That was exactly the point. Her speech was designed to say, "Look how normal my family is. We're just a good old normal average American family." In that sense, she nailed it.

4. Hillary Clinton's speech. Another excellent speech. She did a good job celebrating herself while also supporting Obama. It was a tough line to walk, I'm sure, but she handled it well. Maybe she's not so bad after all.

5. This video. I love this video. It makes me laugh every time.

And I think that gets me up to speed.

No comments: