Wednesday, August 13, 2008

All Sizzle, No Steak

I think that for the most part Obama has been unfairly painted as being flush with style but short on substance. From issue to issue he has well considered positions and - if the latest round of ads is any indication - seems to have a much better focus on issues that McCain does.

That being said, the Obama campaign's announcement that they will be notifying supporters directly about Obama's choice for VP struck me as all steak and no sizzle. It seems like an awful lot of hype for something that isn't all that noteworthy.

I get that the intention is to show that the people are directly the ones who matter in this race. It's not about the press or the elite. It's about the regular folks who've been giving their $25 dollars. Okay, I see that. What I don't see is how much of a difference this makes. CNN will have the news on the air about 30 seconds after the e-mail goes out. All the papers will have it in their online editions about two minutes after that. So what's really the point?

I guess the point is that it makes a statement. It's a symbol. I get that. I do. I just don't think it matters that much.

P.S. I think he's going to pick Bayh.

No comments: