Monday, June 9, 2008

All's Well That Ends Well

Hillary Clinton gave her concession (or should I say suspension?) speech on Saturday. I have to say, I think it went pretty well. She didn't make any ridculously martyr-ish statements and even echoed a few Obama themes, which was a nice touch.

I'm not 100% sure why she waited to give the speech in the first place. Perhaps it was to create a sense of suspense or to make her speech seem more concilliatory and gracious than it would otherwise be considered because there had been some doubt as to whether or not she would even give it. But, she did it. Even if it was a bit of a non-event.

Now comes the real campaign and we'll see how serious the calls for party unity really are. I don't think that a united Democratic Party will have any trouble beating John McCain in the fall. But the Democrats have beaten themselves before, so let's keep the old fingers crossed.

No comments: