Monday, February 2, 2009

Hope Springs Eternal

Unfortunately, I don't have any deep insights into politics or education or anything like that today. Instead, my thoughts are focused on the world of football where my hometown team, the Arizona Cardinals, blew it in the Super Bowl last night. That the Cardinals lost is not, in itself, surprising. Over the course of my lifetime, it's been one of the few things they've managed to do well. What makes this loss so different is that they were in the Super Bowl for the first time in history and they pretty much had the game won with less than 3 minutes left. And then they lost. After holding out such hope, it was snatched away at the last moment.

I'd say that it was a pretty good summation of what it's like to cheer for the Cardinals, but it really isn't. Usually it's not even close so there is no hope. It kind of sums up the entire experience of Phoenix sports. You have to look to the curse era Red Sox to find a team that so consistently comes so close without ever winning the big one. The Suns are the best example. The Diamondbacks are starting to establish themselves in that model (after winning the World Series a few years ago.) Add the Cardinals to the list now. It's sad to be a Phoenix sports fan.

So that's it. I'm not going to try to tie this into something deep about the nature of hope or anything like that. I just needed a day to whine. I'll be back in top form tomorrow.

No comments: