Monday, December 1, 2008

A Truly Black Friday

Every so often something happens that makes me start to doubt the very fabric of our civilization. I'm not talking today about terrorism in India or famines or plagues or anything like that. I'm talking about the Wal-Mart worker who was trampled to death by shoppers last Friday. First, thousands of shoppers burst their way into the store, trampling one of the workers who had opened the doors. The throng was so intense that it took several minutes for police to clear space around the trampled man in order to give aid. Even then, people continued to jostle and push the police.

This is civilization?

I get that Friday was the start of holiday shopping season and I know how people can get swept up into a group mentality. But if all it takes for order to break down like that is for Wal-Mart to offer a sale, we may be in trouble here.

No comments: